Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Day Eight: The best invention ever?

First off, if I forgot to invite anyone to this blog, my apologies... I did get a few email bounce-backs. Second, I'm not positive who S.A.D. is in the last posting's comments, but if I had time for dinner, I'd obviously have time for drywalling, or for blogging. People have time for eating? Thirdly, it's no secret I keep my hair looking just so.

Okay, on to the serious stuff. Today was a very busy day. First and foremost, behold the SIDECAR junction box in all its majesty.

(from left: sidecar box attached to wall with the plug actually fitting; 2 plugs that will be above the south counter; the sidecar box alone... wow!)

The wires for the outlet go in the little "sidecar" so everything fits nicely. Then the drywall just goes over the sidecar and poof! it's done. This means I've finished wiring one of the 2 kitchen outlet circuits. Check and check. Until it's inspected and I have to fix something.

Secondly, the plumbers finished all the rough in of the plumbing today. It will be inspected tomorrow, then we'll see the plumbers again once the cabinets and counters have been installed. That seems like a long way off...

Third, the new back door was put in. Unfortunately, this wasn't as smooth as I would have liked. I thought it was a blessing that they'd be installing it today instead of tomorrow. I was told (yesterday) to expect a call around 12pm so I could get home to let them in. At 1:3opm, I called the door guy. He said he was running behind (the scheduler did, not the actual door guy) and should be there by 2:30pm. He would call before arriving so I had time to get home. So 3:30pm arrives and I get a call, "um, yeah, I forgot to call you from the office, so I'm here at the house." Terrific. So I load up my work to finish from home and go to let the door guy in. When I arrive, he's unpacking the door. I notice right away that the hinges seem to be on the wrong side. I'm pretty observant, you know. So I call my backup, my wife. She said she thinks the same thing. So I'm talking with the door guy saying I think the hinges should be on the other side, and he shows me the bill of sale that states they should be on the left hand side, when looking at it from the OUTSIDE. We needed them on the left hand side when looking at it from the INSIDE. But, the door needed to get put in, so I called the sales guy we dealt with, let him know my predicament, and my squeaky wheel should be getting some discount. Better be, since they're also installing 3 windows.

So the guy installs the door and leaves. But as he's installing it, I also observe that the hinges are brass. Anyone that knows my wife and I knows that we hate brass. Hate it. We had asked for brushed nickel for the hinges, and a stainless steel sill plate. That wasn't there either. AND the handle was brass. So I look at my notes and there on the fax I sent to the sales guy it says I wanted nickel hinges. I can't tell you how many times I told this guy that. So now I get another phone call to them tomorrow, PLUS they didn't caulk around the door, OR put in the insulation and drywall like they were supposed to. I'd better be getting some hella scrilla back.

All this is to say: here's the door!

I think the hinges will work okay on the side they're on, but it will be hard to tell until the shelves w/ the food and the refrigerator are moved.

On to accomplishment #4... finished the wall for the bedroom. Behold.

(photo above: new bedroom wall, looking northeast from the hallway. The new back door is to the right - out of the photo.)

(photo above: new bedroom wall, looking south from inside the room. Nice place for the refrigerator, huh? The fridge is framed by what will be the doorway. A new refrigerator will magically appear in the new kitchen. Maybe we'll leave this one here for the princesses to get cold beverages and snacks...)

And I think that's it for today. Oh, I met with the contractor who will be making the cutout from the ktichen to the dining room. They're doing it tomorrow, so here's a last look at the view from the kitchen to the dining room with the studs still in place.

If the city inspector who checks out the plumbing can give me approval on the bedroom, I'll probably hang that drywall tomorrow. If not, I'll continue on electrical in the kitchen and call for the inspection on Thursday.

Did I mention the sidecar junction box? Brilliant!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It occurred to me that you should be leaving little notes tacked to the studs to enlived the "next" home handiman's chores. ie where to get sidecars; what blend of coffee goes with studs and electric wires; what conditioner is best after demolition.
At minimum, you should sign you labor of art and date it.

8:09 AM  
Blogger Stephen Landau said...

I will write the URL for the blog on the studs so future generations can learn the history behind the entire process. Because we all know that blogs live forever.

That, or pictures of my hair. I haven't decided yet. And a signature and date. Thanks for the suggestion. I might throw a newspaper in there as well, and maybe a cat.

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There IS a reason brass rhymes with ass.

Love the wall. And that fridge location could have a few benefits.

Anyhow...
Yes, hella scrilla.
Bosch level? Not likely.

XO
E.

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home